Organization: The Street Trust
Job Posting: Program Assistant
Reporting To: Program and Events Director
Hours: Temporary position, 30-40 hours per week, January 15, 2018 - June 15, 2018
Location: 618 NW Glisan, Suite 401, Portland, Oregon
Start Date: As soon as possible in December or January
The Street Trust is a non-profit membership organization with a mission to advocate for healthy and thriving communities where it is safe and easy for people to bike, walk, and ride public transit.
The Street Trust is seeking an energetic and effective individual who will help the programs team build and execute events and encouragement programs from January - June 2018. This position is a supportive role in delivering Live the Revolution, the Oregon Active Transportation Summit, and the Bike More Challenge. The position will work directly with the Programs and Events Director, event planning committees, as well as teams of volunteers. Through hands-on work, you will engage in event planning, fundraising, grassroots outreach, vlunteer management and public speaking. The position is primarily during the hours 9am-5pm Monday – Friday, though some weekend and evening hours will be required for events. This position is for someone who has some experience in event planning, program delivery, and/or volunteer management, and is ready to take their skills to the next level. If you are interested in active transportation, nonprofit programming, events, and talking to people, this is the position for you!
Position Skills Required:
The following skills are necessary to do this job:
- Ability to be self-motivated, a team player, and an active problem solver.
- Ability to work well with a collaborative team- and stay on track and motivated with personal work plan.
- Ability to communicate effectively over the phone and through email.
- Ability to deliver presentations and workshops to large groups of people.
- Ability to manage volunteers from all walks of life and age groups.
- Ability to plan and lead bike rides.
We are looking for someone who has 1-2 years of experience in most of the following categories:
- Planning and executing events.
- Public speaking to groups of 10 - 100 people, or delivering workshops or presentations.
- Volunteer or staff management for events and/or ongoing activities.
- Proven track record of being a reliable and hardworking teammate.
- Experience in promoting inclusion and cultural responsiveness in a workplace environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to working effectively with diverse communities.
The Street Trust is an equal opportunity employer. We believe strongly that relevant experiences are better indicators of performance than educational degrees. All employees must be team oriented. We love people who bike, walk and/or ride public transit, but do not hire based on how people get around but on how well they suit the position and skill set we seek. We do expect that our employees embrace our mission and vision for healthy and thriving communities where it is safe and easy for people to bike, walk and ride public transit.
Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply. The Street Trust is committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive environment. The organization is committed to racial equity across the organization: in our service to stakeholders, in our workforce composition and practices, and in our organizational culture. While still seeking to improve our demonstration of this commitment, candidates should know that racial equity is a cornerstone of our commitment to all communities in the region. For more info, view our Racial Equity Policy statement here.
To apply, submit a resume, and a cover letter that describes your skills, professional goals, and relevant personal or professional experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Program Assistant” in the subject line. No faxes or phone calls please.
We will accept applications until the position is filled. We will begin interviewing candidates via 15-minute phone interviews the first week of January, and will conduct in person interviews the second week of January. We would like to have someone start work January 15, 2018.